News: USA - forklift (re)manufacturer's facility achieves zero landfill status
Crown Equipment Corporation, one of the world's leading forklift manufacturers, on March 31 released its Crown ecologic Report highlighting the company's sustainability initiatives and accomplishments.
Thursday, 1st April 2010
The report, which can be downloaded at www.crown.com, highlights Crown's tradition, exploration and implementation of conservation-minded practices throughout the design, engineering and manufacturing of resilient, long-lasting forklifts. The company's commitment to sustainability is evident throughout numerous aspects of its operations. Throughout the past 10 years, Crown has rehabilitated more than one million square feet of brownfield facility space into new buildings for manufacturing and business operations. And, Crown's New Bremen, Ohio, manufacturing facilities operate computer-controlled heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems to reduce facility-wide energy use. The sustainability of Crown forklifts is perhaps no more evident than through its Encore brand of remanufactured lift trucks as well as the remanufactured components from the company's reNEWed parts programme. Forklifts that go through the extensive Encore process incorporate precision workmanship and demanding quality-control checks to extend the product's lifecycle. These top-quality remanufactured lift trucks often benefit from reNEWed components that make the forklift like new underneath. Crown remanufactured more than 17,000 reNEWed motors and drive units in 2009. Some of Crown's other recent ecologic-related accomplishments were: Crown's New Knoxville, Ohio, facility achieved zero landfill status. The 40,000-square-foot facility, which manufactures electric motors and plastic parts, recycles 96 percent of its waste. The remaining 4 percent (less than 1 ton per month) is converted into energy at a state-of-the art, waste-to-energy facility. Also as part of the effort, Crown reduced disposable packaging in favor of reusable packaging. The company worked closely with suppliers to ensure that many parts delivered to the facility arrived in reusable packaging. Crown secured its second grant from the State of Ohioto continue its industry-leading research, testing and application of fuel cell technology in forklifts. Crown also established the material handling industry's first Fuel Cell Qualification programmefor its line of electric forklifts. The programme approves Crown trucks for use with fuel cell power packs and provides certifications to customers. Crown brought multiple technologies to the material handling industry that help conserve waste and fuel, including e-GENģ Braking Systems for its electric forklifts and eSmart Accurate Fuel Tracking for the Crown C-5 Series internal combustion forklift. Crown's e-GEN Braking System uses AC motor torque instead of wearable brakes to slow the forklift's motion. This design eliminates the need to replace or adjust wearable parts and in doing so reduces waste. Crown's eSmart Accurate Fuel Tracking monitors the truck's fuel tank and provides an accurate display of available fuel for maximum efficiency, thereby reducing unnecessary fuel tank changes and increasing productivity. Crown's ecologic programme features advanced materials recycling and recovery methods, innovative production and forklift remanufacturing practices, industry-leading forklift energy efficiency, and the preservation of land and natural resources.
CRR to facilitate at G7 Resource Efficiency Alliance inspired workshop in Brussels
David Parker and Edward Sims will be facilitating sessions of the EC / IRP Workshop in Brussels on 7 and 8 February on 'Promoting Remanufacturing, Refurbishment, Repair, and Direct Reuse'
European Remanufacturing Council launches with a nod to Hollywood
The newly-launched Conseil Europ√©en de Remanufacture plans to represent companies which produce ‚ā¨30 billion of remanufactured products and employ 190,000 people across Europe.
Remanufacturing Industries Council Announces Historic Alliance of Remanufacturing Organizations
PRESS RELEASE: ‚Äč‚ÄčThe Remanufacturing Industries Council (RIC) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with four remanufacturing business associations, each representing a different sector within the remanufacturing industry.